Tuesday, December 7, 2010

from this point on

"He's here." Lucy whispered as soon as Todd got there.

"What are you talking about?" Todd winced thinking he was suppose to go, because Cory must be here. It was always awkward around him. He rarely spoke to him, as it was. He'd managed to go over to check on her before he went to work. Of course, he was hoping she was ready for school, but she wasn't. They should have been in the car already and on their way to the high school.

"You know." Her whisper was gruff.

"Do we have to whisper about it?" Todd didn't get it.

"You're brother. Craig." She squinted hard then.

"Craig?" Todd scowled. Well, wasn't that just like him? Avoiding him like the plague, was he? And he'd wired him money to get here. "Where is he?" The place was small. He looked around.

"I think he's hiding." Lucy didn't look none to happy about it.

"Where, under your bed?" Todd gave her glare.

"I don't know." She acted as if she weren't a part of this.

Finally, the wall of books slid open.

"Yes, well, isn't this just like you? Slipping in and slipping out." Todd glared at his brother, who didn't care so much that he was even here. He had no idea about a secret room or anything. As it was he had something else on his mind. He looked at Lucy and her stomach. "Well, at least all three of us are in one room. I think we need to discuss this." He could be on Lucy's case some other day about skipping school. "I know what's going on."

"Going on?" She looked as if he might have been found out, but wanted it to seem she was faking the whole thing, being pregnant.

"Don't freak on me." Todd sucked in a breath as he hugged himself in his puffy dark parka. "I don't know if-" He hesitated. "We need to keep this in the family." He looked at Craig then.

"The family?" Craig winced as if he'd be the weakest link

Todd licked his dry lips. "It isn't easy for me, either. There is just so much I can do. I-I think it would be best if you said the baby was his and not mine." He felt like he was jumping off a cliff with that one. He regretted it as soon as he mentioned it.

"Me?" Craig scowled. "I just got here, you idiot."

"You could at least. Well, you know, be here." Todd knew he could ask him to do much.

"He needs his own door. Not that door." Lucy pointed to the secret door then. She didn't seem fond of Craig. So much for being cupid, Todd guessed. But then again, he didn't really want his brother to fall for Lucy. There was a part of him who loved her.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Woooo..well, at least Ka-rad/Todd got to the point.

ellie said...

So much to fix in this situation. I'm not sure Todd can handle it.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I hope Todd can deal. :/

molly said...

That would be very hard to talk about with the both of them.

Yesha said...

Hmm. Hope it's not going to be complicated.

Mari said...

I'm not sure what I would do if I were one of them or eve just a third party witness...
What is Todd going to do?

Sara said...

wow, this looks like it is going to get complicated!

Sara Lee Bentley said...

A secret room?! I love secret rooms... if I were in English 101 I'd say that this secret room could stand for everything that's being left unsaid between the characters ;)