Tuesday, May 24, 2011

like a faded memory

"I don't need him, anymore." Lucy was quite adamant about Todd being in her life. And to anyone else she was talking in an empty room, but to her...Gage was standing there listening.

"Why don't you need him?" Gage question. "After all you've put him through. He's been good to you."

"Only because of the baby." Lucy sighed hugging herself.

"Look at you." Gage pressed a frown. "You've always wanted a real family. Now that you almost have it, you treat it as if its not there. How could you?"

Lucy's face tensed. She turned from him. She gritted hard. How could he be mad at her? He was all she needed. She couldn't count on Todd for everything.

"I'm SORRY, ALL RIGHT!" She fumed back at him. "After what happened. I - I only had my friends I could count on when I was small.. I was alone. Nobody cared about me." She started to cry. "I could hardly wait to see my parents. But-but when they came back I could hardly stand it. They never got along. I'd hide in the closet." She shook her head. "God, my friends were the only ones I could count on. I was very quiet about it, you know. It wasn't like I was crazy, you see, I-I just needed someone to talk too. But..but now I have you. They don't trust me, like you do. Because, they say I forgot them long ago. And..and you would..never leave me."

"But I have too. I don't belong here." Gage told her.

"But you do!" She winced hard.

"Don't give up on him, Lucy." He told her as his hands out stretched. She thought they touched her face. But she felt nothing. He was fading fast. Fading from her mind. Lucy shook her head. It couldn't be.

"No. No. You can't go. You just can't." Her voice was small. And she was alone now. All alone.

5 comments:

Cait said...

Oh, Lucy. I wonder what will happen to Gage.

Sara said...

Oh I feel so bad for Lucy! I hope she can learn to trust Gage.

Unknown said...

Interesting situation for Lucy.

Cafe Fashionista said...

Poor Lucy. I hope that Gage can earn her trust! :)

Natalie said...

the last lines of that post really struck me. Alone now, all alone. I feel bad for Lucy