Friday, September 9, 2011

tell me about it

"What? Didn't catch a bus or take a cab, while I was gone..." Todd finally spoke.

Lucy dug deeper in the little bucket of cottage cheese with a spoon. Lucy took refuge on the livingroom couch. She looked back at him with a scowl.

"You can't take Lux from me!" She was bitter. He'd left with the baby when she was in the shower. It freaked her so. She'd cried for some time about it. How could he dare think she was an awful mother?

"She's safe." Todd winced. Still straight lipped and nothing like the lover she knew. Perhaps he was changing. Yes, that was it. She was her exact self. He'd turned on her. That was it.

Todd went to the fridge and grabbed a juice.

"Lux is safe here." Lucy protested. She felt ill now. How could he even imagine that she wasn't all right.

"Don't deny it, Lucy!" Todd flung the fridge shut. Bottles rattled. He was full of venom now. "You hurt yourself! You hurt me! I have no idea what YOU are really CAPABLE of."

She thought he might spit on her in that kind of rage. He stirred more tears of emotion inside her. She crumbled, pushing the cottage cheese away.

"What do you want me to do?" She wailed.

"You need a doctor." He told her. "I don't know one. I really don't." Standing there as if he might attempt to jump her, but she threw herself on the couch and tucked her legs under her hands.

"I don't trust them! Don't make me go!" She gritted.

"Jesus, Lucy! What am I suppose to do? Let them put me on drugs, so I can I live with you." His glare was harsh.

She cleared her throat, thinking of what he'd just said. "You don't want to live with me?"

Todd pressed his lips tight and turned away. "I really thought I knew you. I really did, but I can't be sure now." He face flushed with tears too. He plopped himself down next to her as he covered his eyes. "I love you. Can't you see that! I am trying to make this right. I thought we wanted the same thing. I thought we wanted a better family, better from our own. One where we truly loved each other. That's what I want Lux to know. Not this shit. You being unfaithful, and lord knows what!" He shook his head.

"Can you just give me a week, or two?" She licked her chapped lips. The thought of Gage welled up, under her skin. It stung deep. But she'd get it right. She would. Of course, if Todd didn't agree, she'd show him how vampires really fought. This was her home. She would only go crazy if she had to.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Those 2 just have to settle down. Lucy better be nice.

Sara said...

I think he is right, she needs some help!

Cafe Fashionista said...

Hopefully someone will help her. :/

ori said...

He's gonna have to stand his ground.