Friday, April 12, 2013

don't let go

"Do you feel like going for a drive?" Craig asked Jesse when he brought her the thick chocolate milkshake.

She could barely look at him. Her body felt as if it didn't want to move, but she'd slept on and off all day.

"I'm gonna pick up Cam."

She took a sip of the shake. She nodded. She did want to see him. She'd missed him so much.

He had a bag of burgers from Sonic.

"Seriously, I can cook. I would, but today has really been weird." He half smiled. "And I haven't slept and I need to go to work tonight."

"Sorry." She squinted hard, wondering how awful it must be and how bad she must look. Did she really want her son to see her, after all? "Maybe..maybe I should just stay in."

"He'll want to see you. He was so worried." Craig told her as he helped her up. "We'll go get him. Maybe..maybe we could look at some apartments or something around the school. You know, some place closer..where Cam can just walk a little ways, or something."

She nodded. That would be ideal, but that seldom ever happened in her world.

"I want to get you out of here." He helped her down  the thin hall of the tiny trailer house. She was in her gray leggins and old thermal shirt than hung on more like a loose sweater.

She noticed he'd cleaned up the kitchen. He'd picked up the place. She wondered when he had time to do that.

"I can't. I live here." She looked at him sorely. What was he expecting?

"I just..I feel you need to be somewhere else..if ..if he comes looking for you." Craig told her.

"But, he's in jail." She stared at him as if it was over.

"Yeah, and I bet he can find someone to pay his bond too." Craig's look was cold. He wasn't the happiest guy. "I think tonight I'll feel better if..if you stay at Spencer's. He says he's got a room. I guess Cam would have to sleep with you, but its not that far from the school. He'd help with Cam, in the morning."

She winced. She didn't know who these people were.

"Where will you be?" She wanted to know. Jess kept her arms around him. She didn't want to let go.

5 comments:

ellie said...

I do feel bad for her. I'm glad she's letting him help.

Cafe Fashionista said...

She is so lucky to have Craig. :)

Sara said...

I am glad he is there, she needs someone to guide her!

mazzymay said...

I'm glad she needs him, and wants him there.

MOSAMUSE said...

poor her :(
xo
MOSAMUSE

www.MOSAMUSE.com