Friday, September 23, 2011

breaking in

"Hey, are you asleep?" Gage felt his way in the dark, fell on Sage in the process.

"What are you doing?" She was awake. She snapped on the lamp next to her bed. "Its.." She squinted hard. "3 in the morning."

"I couldn't sleep." He told her. He was eager to get to work.

"But you don't have to be there until seven," Sage yawned. "Really, seven is too early for me."

"Seven is too early?" No one had told him this, until now. "Seven is early." He repeated shaking his head. He wasn't exactly in bed with Sage who was in the clothes she came in.

"Seven is early, but that's when you have to be there." She told him she hoped she got the job, but her luck she wouldn't.

"But you could be there for me. To talk." He grinned.

"Yeah, sure." She didn't look so happy. "But I want to be left alone. Right now."

"OK." He got up and watched her, stare at him. "What if I can't sleep?" He shrugged.

"Just close your eyes, and try." She yawned.

"I can do that here?" He felt ready for anything.

"No, in your own room." She sighed. "Just don't scare me like that, OK?"

"I'm not scary." He promised. His smile was genuine.

"Go to bed." She pointed at him.

He walked away, but it was more like a circle.

"We're friends? Right?" He wanted to know. Now.

"I guess." She was sleepy.

"Promise?"

"Promise." She told him.

Gage grinned. There was nothing else to do. They were going to be friends. He missed Lucy so much. Maybe Sage could be a friend, like Lucy.

7 comments:

ellie said...

There could be a Gage problem.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I hope Sage doesn't try to take advantage of him. :/

mazzy may said...

Like that's all she needs to put up with.

molly said...

Sage and Gage..hmmmm...

Unknown said...

Hopefully Sage can keep him in line.

FWB said...

somebody is going to have to watch after Gage.

Flo said...

aww so cute