Saturday, February 2, 2013

all there is to know

Perhaps it was a thaw, but Ezra knew it would be cold again. He decided to drop by Cory's before he went to work. It was only a few blocks away. But Cory and Allie were already gone. Thankfully, Craig was rummaging around in the kitchen.

He looked beat from getting off work. Craig was getting some bread toasted and pouring himself a bowl of cornflakes.

Craig offered him coffee. It was all rather civil. Possibly, they were both sleep walking through this make shift meeting.

"I don't drive." Ezra admitted as to why there was no car in the driveway when Craig checked out the sunny window with the sheer curtain in the diningroom.

"I don't have anything to drive." Craig shrugged. It seemed he was in no hurry to find something. There would be car insurance to go along with it. "See, you don't even have to worry about stuff like that."

"You are going to try to see Jake, aren't, you?" Ezra put him on the spot.

"Well, I want to, its just, you know." He blew a breath as he stirred his flakes of cereal before he took to it. "I don't want to make her mad." He shrugged as if he was going to leave Sarah alone.

"She'll just have to get used to it." Ezra winced.

"I don't think she will." He sounded as if he might be a bit frightened of her now. "She seems really happy with you." Craig finally looked up at Ezra.

"Yeah well, she..she makes me happy." Ezra thought it was a two way street, but he didn't want to leave Craig out in the cold. "Its just, I know, some day, she'll regret it..if you aren't a part of Jake's life." Of course, he was thinking of his own. He doubted his mother regretted anything. "I don't want you being a figment of Jake's imagination."

Craig almost smiled.

"You don't have to do this, you know." Craig shook his head.

"Maybe you should come to dinner." Ezra suggested.

"Does Sarah know about this?" Craig looked at him before he scooped up anymore soggy cornflakes.

"Not yet, but we can do this. If we work at it, it can be done." Ezra looked at him brightly.

Craig ate another spoonful of cornflakes. He wasn't nearly as optimistic.

3 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ezra's a great guy. I love that he's working on keeping the peace! :)

ellie said...

I love Ezra. But I feel for Craig too.

Caitlin and Megan said...

I like this one.