Friday, February 22, 2013

another night

"So what are, you, gonna do now?" Jesse's smart mouth curved up at Craig as soon as he walked into the gas station. It was starting to snow. The forecast was predicting the worst, and Craig was here for his shift. Jesse already had her stuff together. He guessed she was waiting for her ride.

"Do what?" He couldn't help but stare. She was a looker and she probably knew it.

"You know," she snickered. "Quit this shit hole job and be a doctor. I heard what you did." She gave him a dead stare.

"What?" He was still confused.

"You delivered a goddamn baby." She laughed. "It was in the paper."

"It was?" He winced.

"Why didn't you tell me, you had skills." Jess opened the locked counter so they could change positions. She got out and he went in and closed the gate.

"Uh, I didn't really do anything." He shook his head. "I was just there. I'm just roommates."

"So you like kids?" She looked him over.

"Is this a test?" He asked back as he put his stuff away and went immediately to throw out the coffee and make some fresh.

"Maybe." She shrugged as she kept staring at him.

"Yeah, I like kids. I have a son." He nodded. "Its just his mother doesn't let me see him much."

"I got one you could hang out with." She shrugged as if she was rather bored with this conversation.

"You never said.."

"So." She gave him the eye, again. "Freddie takes care of himself." She crossed her arms.

"Freddie?" Craig winced.

"He's almost ten." She stared at him as if he had nothing on her.

Craig nodded. He wouldn't dare ask another thing about him. Still he felt a little sad for Freddie. Maybe for even Jesse, too.

"Well, you're rides here." He knew instantly who was in the drive. The truck was just as loud as his motorcycle.

She festered a frown.

"Don't get cold tonight." She said as she was leaving.

"I hope you don't, either." He watched her strut away. He hoped she was a tough as she made out to be.

4 comments:

ellie said...

I do wonder about Freddie now.

Caitlin and Megan said...

Jesse definitely is interesting.

Cafe Fashionista said...

Jessie is an interesting gal. :)

Anonymous said...

I am sure Craig wonders how to handle her.